President Donald J. Trump announced an action plan to ensure Hispanic Americans continue to prosper and achieve the American Dream.
President Donald J. Trump is issuing an Executive Order focused on promoting the success of every member of America’s proud Hispanic community. This Executive Order establishes the White House Hispanic Prosperity Initiative and Interagency Working Group. The Initiative also establishes the President’s Advisory Commission on Hispanic Prosperity. The Order will improve access to educational, training, and economic opportunities for Hispanic American students by promoting options to enhance school choice, personalized learning, family engagement, civics education, and pathways to in-demand jobs. This action further demonstrates the President’s support of school choice, apprenticeships and work-based learning initiatives, Hispanic Serving Institutions (HSIs), as well as investment in economically distressed communities and small and minority owned businesses.
- Before the coronavirus pandemic, the Hispanic unemployment rate reached a record low of 3.9% under the leadership of President Trump.
- Hispanic unemployment remained under 5% for 23 consecutive months and fell below 5% 27 times during the President’s first term.
- In 2018, the poverty rate for Hispanic Americans reached the lowest level on record.
- Since 2016, nearly 611,000 Hispanic Americans have been lifted out of poverty.
- Under the Administration’s pro-growth policies, median income for Hispanic households reached a historic high, surpassing $50,000 for the first time on record.
- The President’s tax cuts are putting more money into the pockets of Hispanic American families and providing new resources for minority-owned businesses.
- Under President Trump’s leadership, new jobs and investment are pouring into nearly 9,000 newly-designated Opportunity Zones, home to more than 9 million Hispanic Americans.
- In 2018, a net 362,000 Hispanics achieved the dream of homeownership—the largest such gain since 2005.
- President Trump is expanding educational opportunity for Hispanic American families through school choice and expanded higher education support.
- Nearly one-third of all students in public charter schools and 11% in private schools are Hispanic.
- One of Florida’s private school scholarship programs serves more than 100,000 students, nearly 40% of whom are Hispanic.
- The President signed legislation that provides $1 billion to Minority Serving Institutions, including HSIs.
FUELING A THRIVING ECONOMY
The Hispanic community has achieved record-setting economic successes as a direct result of President Trump creating a thriving economic environment. The President is committed to making even greater advances in growing small business and increasing household income, home ownership, and healthcare personalized options for the Hispanic Community.
- Increase small business lending, technical assistance, and resource access through Community Development Financial Institutions (CDFIs) and Minority Depository Institutions (MDIs), and establish new bank and non-traditional lending relationships to ensure Hispanics’ access to new sources of capital.
- Create a public relations campaign and increased coordination between Small Business
Administration (SBA) and Minority Business Development Agency (MBDA) programs available to Hispanic business owners, and make MBDA a permanent agency.
- Increase opportunities for small businesses as prime and supply chain contractors and remove barriers to employment such as fees and occupational licensing.
- Preserve private healthcare insurance, support language-access programs for patient healthcare, and increase broadband access for robust telehealth activities, including rural and remote areas.
EDUCATION OPPORTUNITY FOR ALL
Nothing is more important to the future of our great Nation than ensuring every child receives a world-class education. To have a fair shot at the American Dream, Hispanic families—like every family—deserve the opportunity to choose the best education—including kindergarten through twelfth-grade (K-12), college, or vocational school—for their children.
- Empower more than a million Hispanic families with K-12 scholarships.
- Promote awareness of employment initiatives and vocational training.
- Increase access to 529 plans that include funding for K-12 needs.
- Encourage and assist Hispanic students to major in and enter the Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) fields.
- Increase broadband access for educational options, including rural and remote areas.
- Streamline the process to increase the number of Hispanic Serving Institutions (HSIs), as well as expand funding for research and development initiatives for HSIs.
- Ensure Americans can use their Pell grants for post-secondary opportunities that lead to a fulfilling career.
- Increase the work of the White House Hispanic Prosperity Initiative, including promoting school choice.
Hispanic families understand the sacrifice of fighting for democracy and the service
of our military and law enforcement that allows all of us to live out the American dream. America is a welcoming country and this Administration will work tirelessly to establish a fair, simple, and compassionate immigration system to come to our country.
- Support policies and regulations that place sanctions on Communist regimes in the Caribbean,
South, and Central America, including Venezuela, Cuba, and Nicaragua.
- Support all law enforcement within our communities and at the border and provide essential
funding and necessary programs for active duty military and our veterans.
STRONG FAITH, FAMILY, AND COMMUNITY
Faith and family are of paramount importance to the Hispanic
community. The President will continue to vigorously defend religious freedom for all and protect life and houses of worship.
- Expand the work of the White House Faith and Opportunity Initiative, including protecting religious liberty and innocent life at all stages.
- Protect constitutional rights of all students in public schools.
- Build on the historic numbers of home ownership to increase the ability of all families to pass on their wealth to their children.
- Protect families through support for community policing and safe neighborhood programs.
- Give churches the ability to compete for Federal resources for their communities.
PRESIDENT TRUMP’S PROMISE TO HISPANIC AMERICANS
- Instill policies to add 500,000 Hispanic-owned businesses to the economy.
- Increase access to capital for minority-owned businesses through historic support for CDFIs and MDIs, leading to even greater development of Opportunity Zones.
- Create an economic environment that produces more than 2 million new jobs in the Hispanic American community.
- Grow the pipeline for minority entrepreneurship through opportunities for Federal contracting.
- Build upon the historic increases in home ownership to achieve new records.
- Empower every family in America with school choice now and streamline the process to increase the number of HSIs.
- Resolve Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) with a permanent solution that is both fair and just, and benefits all Americans.
- Defend freedom, preserve democracy, and combat socialism.
- Ensure safer neighborhoods with the highest standards of policing, protect property rights, and support law enforcement.
- Defend religious liberties and constitutional rights.
- Expand personalized and customizable healthcare options.